
A while back, I decided (amidst being neck deep in editing) to take part in the Giving is Awesome portraiture giveaway. The premise was quite simple....
....think of someone you know. And you do indeed know someone. You know someone who’s experienced a tragedy, is struggling to stay afloat, is raising kids while holding down more than one job, or is volunteering selflessly despite extenuating personal circumstances. You know someone who can’t afford custom photography, but who would cherish it this holiday season. You know someone who deserves a year-round reminder of their family’s spirit, love, and beauty.
The nominations came pouring in. Stories of tragedy to triumph. So very overwhelming, each and every one of them.
So I chose one.
And this is how my Christmas Eve morning phone call went....
ring, ring, ring
Emergency Room, this is xxxxx.
Hi, may I speak to Krista?
Sure, one moment...
This is Krista.
So filled with emotion at this point, I could hardly even speak.
Krista, this is Karmen Lindner, I am a photographer in the Madison area and I.....
I briefly explained why I was calling. Quiver in her voice. So I started to read the email nominating her from her fellow ER co-worker. I couldn't even get thru the first line. Bust into tears, professionally of course.
"Ok I work with a nurse Krista who is a little younger than me. Her youngest child has profound Cerebal Palsy and is in a wheelchair. His name is Turner and I believe is 11 or so trapped in an infant's body. Throughout the past year he has been hospitalized multiple times for life-threatening complications that would be a nightmare for any other parent. Yes, Krista works, and has a husband. But I cannot imagine to tell you the enormity of their medical bills, her needing to take time off to be with him in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit while he lies there with tubes, monitors as she prays for a miracle. Krista is not someone I "hang out" with outside of work but I can tell you at work she is a FANTASTIC girl!! When Turner has a Md appt, her little 120lb body pushes him around in his wheelchair throughout American Childrens Hospital always stopping in the ER to say hi to us!! And EVERYTIME she brings that child though work, he is ALWAYS ALWAYS smiling at his mother!! Never, whining, crying EVER!! There is a light there between the two of them that always shines. So that being said, I would like to consider my friend for a photo-shoot. I know that there is no extra funds in that home for something like this. And I could not think of a more precious gift than photos of that Mother and her son!! Please consider!!!!!"
AYKM? Not a dry eye in my house. Matt would agree.
Krista, so unbelieveably grateful. Jennifer, so very thoughtful. Me, gushing with pure WOWness. Giving this gift to Krista is actually more of a gift to me.
I cannot wait to photograph your beautiful Turner. I simply cannot wait.
(Jennifer, $100 off your next photo session too.) Thank you to all who submitted nominations. Thank you. I look forward to Giving is Awesome 2010.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Giving is Awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment